[CentOS] Re: Vote For CentOS :) -- assumptions based on branding ...

Bryan J. Smith <b.j.smith@ieee.org>

thebs413 at earthlink.net
Thu Jun 2 22:13:23 UTC 2005

From: me at prestoncrawford.com

From: "Bryan J. Smith <b.j.smith at ieee.org>"
> Every RHEL package as a 1:1 version to Fedora, typically Fedora
> Core, possibly Fedora Development (as it seems MySQL 4 was).
> This is fact.  Nothing goes into RHEL without going through
> Rawhide/Development first -- if not into Fedora Core.
> If you read Red Hat's own development and lists, packages that
> have "EL" are typically subsets of the FC version.  Most of the
> time, it's due to locale -- Red Hat strips out unsupported locale.
> In other cases, there might be supersets, like the kernel.  In those
> rare cases, yes, Red Hat needs to redistribute those source changes.

BTW, assumptions such as yours is entirely based on "branding."
It's a common thing that people do, and goes to the heart of the
trademark matter, as well as gross mis-representation and lack
of attention to detail by many.

People assume something is "Red Hat(R) Linux" because the "Red
Hat(R)" trademark is on it.  They assume it is completely different
if the trademark is not.  It doesn't matter if completely modified
packages for an architecture Red Hat never supported, and the
packages are even completely SRPM _incompatible_, people
believed it was still "Red Hat(R) Linux."

Ironically, people assume "Fedora(TM) Core" has nothing to do
with "Red Hat(R) Enterprise Linux" -- or is at least completely
different in its relationship with RHEL than "Red Hat(R) Linux"
was -- merely because of the "branding."  In training courses,
I've taken people completely through an entire rebuild of core
packages, down to version, of Fedora Core and Red Hat Enterprise
Linux, as well as SuSE Linux and SuSE Linux Enterprise Server,
and it's amazing to see that FC and RHEL differ far less than
SL and SLES.

If the RPM version is the same for a package of Fedora Core
and Red Hat Enterprise Linux, they _are_ the same from the
standpoint of GPL source code.  Things that are modified have
"EL" attached to the version, and in many cases, it's actually
a locale subset consideration for RHEL.

Bryan J. Smith   mailto:b.j.smith at ieee.org