[CentOS] Re: Reboots -- Short Answer

James Olin Oden james.oden at gmail.com
Fri Jun 3 01:34:19 UTC 2005

On 6/2/05, Bryan J. Smith <b.j.smith at ieee.org> <thebs413 at earthlink.net> wrote:
> From: Prasad Pillarisetti <prasad.pillarisetti at gmail.com>
> > ***Do you perform downtimes just for the purpose of rebooting the systems?
> > ***Is there a recommended interval Linux system should be rebooted?
>
> Okay, here's my short answer:
>
> Regardless of OS, you should _always_ reserve dates/times for preventive
> maintenance on a regular basis.
>
> But I agree with most others, unless it is a kernel upgrade or GLibC change,
> there's no absolutely need to reboot.  Not even during preventive maintanence
> should you feel compelled.

While I agree with most of your points (the short and long version), I
think that when you update software on your production servers during
a maintenance window, its generally a good idea to do a reboot then to
make sure that your not supprised years later.  It has nothing to do
with fixing some problem or Linux really needing the reboot, but more
of a test to make sure that if/when you loose power or for some other
reason you have to reboot, that you some level of confidence that the
box will reboot clean and all production services are available.

Just by 2 cents...james