[CentOS] Vote For CentOS :)

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Sat Jun 4 05:12:44 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-06-03 at 23:38, Bryan J. Smith wrote:

> > I was just having a moment of nostalgia for the old days. Do you
> > remember the time when Red Hat was building their reputation and
> > building a free version of Red Hat Linux took exactly *no* extra work
> > by another team that might instead be adding value by packaging new
> > programs in their repository?
>
> BTW, I don't know what you are talking about on this.
>
> A _lot_ of people who worked on forks used to complain about RPM
> _in_compatibility with Red Hat.

I'm talking about 3rd party efforts at RPM packaging. In most
cases, my decision to use RH in any particular situation was
motivated by the odds that any add-on software I wanted would
already be available in RH compatible RPMs.  And, I think
that was mostly true because the RH base was freely
available.   Now there there are probably more .deb packages
available, but it is painful to switch existing installations,
especially after getting used to the RH init script conventions
and all the gunk in /etc/sysconfig.

And I didn't mean forked distributions at all - I was
referring to the time when forks were not necessary for
free copies.

--
  Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at futuresource.com