[CentOS] Vote For CentOS :)

Bryan J. Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Sat Jun 4 06:51:39 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-06-03 at 23:29 -0700, Preston Crawford wrote:
> Actually, you've been saying something kind of animal farm-ish.
> We all stand on the shoulders of others.
> However, some shoulders are more equal than others.

Maybe so.  But why argue about it?  I don't think it's worth it at all.
CentOS, Red Hat, etc..., we're all part of the community of GPL
endeavors.

I think you're thinking of others than myself on that.  Please note that
I have tried to be neutral.

> My point being that there's plenty of software in the distro that wasn't
> created by Red Hat.

Very true.  And I didn't disagree with that either, in fact, I also
confirmed it.  But for those who assume Red Hat doesn't "pull it
weight," which seems to be quite commonplace, it's not at all.

> You know what I meant. The original apache project was the httpd server.

CERN httpd -> a-patchy -> etc...

> Anyway..
> My point being that there's plenty of software in the distro that wasn't
> created by Red Hat.

Correct.  Again, I think you're beef isn't with me on that, but others.
I said we're all part of the same GPL world, and we all need to work
together.

> My point being that there's plenty of software in the distro that wasn't
> created by Red Hat.

Correct.  And any other distro for that matter.

> Red Hat is responsible for all the gnu software?

Maintainer of GCC (since Cygnus was so designated back in the late
'90s).  And Red Hat does provide a lot of the developers for other,
major core GNU projects too.

But not all, no.  Don't belittle them.  This is the problem, why can't
we find some "common ground" here?

Apparently some people want to understate Red Hat's significance and
then others want to overstate it in return.  Why do we have to do this?
Really, why?

I've said it really does _not_ matter.  I've said it to both who want to
give credit to Red Hat for CentOS as well as people who don't think Red
Hat does anything, or at least not of any significance.

> That's not the point. The point is these pissing contests are invariably
> stupid since we're all part of one large community composed of lots of
> little communities.

[ I'm dumbfounded ]

Didn't I bascially already say that in this thread?
I think you're blaming me for things _others_ said on "credit."
It was _not_ me who said that Red Hat should get "credit" for CentOS.

Can we _please_ find some "common ground" on this thread?

> Who's talking about the GPL? I'm not. I'm talking about the fact that
> Red Hat isn't personally responsible for every single line of code that
> goes into their distribution. Nothing more.

More absolutes.  Sigh.

Bryan J. Smith                                     b.j.smith at ieee.org
It is mathematically impossible for someone who makes more than you
to be anything but richer than you.  Any tax rate that penalizes them
will also penalize you similarly (to those below you, and then below
them).  Linear algebra, let alone differential calculus or even ele-
mentary concepts of limits, is mutually exclusive with US journalism.
So forget even attempting to explain how tax cuts work.  ;->