[CentOS] DVD writer problem

Lamar Owen lowen at pari.edu
Sat Jun 4 13:13:08 UTC 2005

On Saturday 04 June 2005 05:08, Mark Jarvis wrote:
> I have an NEC DVD-RW ND2500A (that's not the label I bought it under,
> but that's what it really is.) It's supposed to read/write CDs, DVDs,
>   DVD+Rs, and DVD-Rs. I'm basically dual booting between XP and CentOS 4.

> Following the recipe in "The Linux Cookbook", I tried to copy a DVD using:
>     cdrecord dev=/dev/hdd fs=32m -sao -v -eject -dummy /tmp/diskfile.iso
> 	to test and

The cdrecord program only supports DVD-R format, not DVD+R.  For that you need
to use growisofs, which is what k3b uses to deal with DVD+R media.  Also, you
would be better off using readcd instead of dd; dd is fairly dumb about error
handling, but readcd knows how to deal with it.  If you have KDE installed
k3b does a fine job of making copies.  However, it must be run as root under
CentOS 4 (in my experience at least) or writing doesn't work at all.
--
Lamar Owen
Director of Information Technology