[CentOS] DVD writer problem

Bryan J. Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Sat Jun 4 16:00:19 UTC 2005

Oh man, where should I begin?  I'm going to top-post, because there's
just a lot of things to know.  I really need to make a HOWTO (as people
on the DVDRTools have been asking).

I could really "go in deep" on all the record/rewrite formats, because
they are pretty different.  For right now, let's assume you are using
DVD-R.

In a nutshell, there are 3 major types of drive firmwares:
 - Matsushita (DVD Consortium)
 - Pioneer (DVD Consortium)
 - Sony/Philips (DVD+RW Consortium)

Even though there are dual-format and even multi-format burners these
days, there are different types of firmware supported by different types
of drives.

Pioneer firmware pretty much works with any of the following "linear,
character-by-character record" programs:
 1.  cdrecord-ProDVD (Jorg's official DVD recording program, non-GPL)
 2.  dvdrecord (a fork of an earlier CDRecord release, GPL)
 3.  cdrecord+DVDpatch (CDRecord 2.0 + DVD drive support strings)

Matsushita drives are a little different, typically only work with #1,
maybe #3.  #3 typically comes with most newer distros (much to Jorg's
dislike, because the package is still called "cdrecord").

Most other DVD Consortium drives seem to be either Matsushita or Pioneer
firmware-based, some are actually both.  E.g., the LG GSA-4000 series
actually support both, and _all_ DVD formats (DVD-RAM/R/RW+R+RW).

Sony/Philips firmware is a bit different, designed around the features
(and limitations) non-DVD Consortium DVD+RW format.  So while newer
drives support dual-format, they don't support all the modes.  It seems
only Jorg's cdrecord-proDVD is capable of driving them.

*BUT* you don't have to use a "linear, character-by-character record"
program.  Yes, the most "consumer compatible" way to record a DVD-R is
to do so in "disc-at-once" (DAO) mode so the laser is never turned off
from beginning to end (it's also mutually exclusive with burn-proof),
which is something that Sony/Philips firmware don't support (at least
not until more recently).

Hence why the "dvd+rwtools" tools were created.  In a nutshell they
allow direct block access to the disc, instead of using a linear record.
The reasons for this have to do with the fact that DVD+RW (which DVD+R
is based on) drives weren't designed single-groove recording like DVD-R
drives (note, DVD-RW works completely different than DVD-R), because
there are inherit limitations and disadvantages with "linear, character-
by-character record" (the only real positive if legacy consumer player
compatibility).

So if you're recording DVD+R on a Sony/Philips drive, you want to use
"dvd+rwtools."  If you're recording DVD-R on a Pioneer/Matsushita drive,
you want to use either cdrecord-ProDVD or cdrecord+DVDpatch.  If you're
swapping the two (DVD-R on S/P, DVD+R on P/M), they you might be able to
use newer versions of the programs and it will work, it depends.

There's a lot of history in the formats, and the drives were designed
from different viewpoints.

Pioneer, clearly for consumer player compatibility (DVD-R, DVD-RW more
of an "afterthought" and not very well designed).  Matsushita, clearly
as an optical data archiving drive (DVD-RAM is the ultimate in
reliability and longevity, but very, very slow and not consumer player
compatible).  Sony/Philips, clearly a high-performance MO drive, and
attempted to beat Pioneer to market on a lot of things (but never did
prior to dual-layer).

-- Bryan

More info (not to enough depth, hence why I need to put out a HOWTO) ...

CD-R and DVD-R are single-groove, like a vinyl record and -ROM media.
The laser runs down a single, linear track, beginning to end -- a
revolution actually move the head outwards.

CD-RW, DVD-RAM, DVD-RW and DVD+RW are a MO discs, with sectors,
cylinders, etc...  When it does a single revolution, it comes back to
the same place it started, so it must "step up" to the next cylinder to
emulate the same.  That's why CD-RW, DVD-RAM, DVD-RW and DVD+RW are not
as "compatible" with players, which expect a "single groove."

The difference with MO it's also why you should use character-by-
character "record" for the "single-groove" media and a "rewrite"
approach, and not MO (either the kernel packet driver -- e.g., DVD-RAM
-- or dvd+rwtools -- e.g., DVD+RW/+R) for the block MO media.

MO also has a horrendous error rate, about 10^9 (1 per 1GB!).  The only
standard MO format (there are plenty of non-standard ones) that tries to
improve that is DVD-RAM.  It uses a verify after write and a media that
can be re-written 100,000 times, instead of only about 1,000.  But DVD-
RAM is not very player compatible at all -- only a few Panasonic and
Toshiba devices.

So for both longevity as well as consumer player compatibility, avoid
anything MO-based.

Long story short on DVD+R, Sony/Philips originally couldn't get DVD-R to
work on its drives, because of the design of its firmware and laser.
They promised a new record format in DVD+R.  Unfortunately, they even
ran into issues, and didn't get it out until the 3rd generation of DVD
+RW (2nd generation in the US -- the original 3GB DVD-R+W was Japan-
only), which also led to a lawsuit against HP and others (as their
DVD100i drives were marketed to support DVD+R).

I'm sure Sony/Philips wish they could turn back the clock as their
promised endeavors to beat Matsushita/Panasonic to market have pretty
much been the opposite (sands dual-layer, something Sony/Philips did
beat them to), but what is done is done.

In the end, DVD+R is really an pie-slice MO bastard, and not a single-
groove like DVD-R.  Adding the lack of a DAO mode, at least in older
drives, and DVD-R is the more compatible format.  Unfortunately the
Sony/Philips firmware was never designed for DVD-R and DAO, so you'll
typically have issues with record programs for it -- which requires you
to use dvd+rwtools.  I highly recommend you _avoid_ DVD+R (I know people
are going to differ with me on this).

Now Sony _was_ the first company to introduce a dual-format drive.  And
they seem to have improved the firmware as of late 2003-2004 (just about
the same time as Sony/Philips finally got DVD+RW/+R interoperability
improved between licensees as well as their own consumer players!), and
Jorg's cdrecord-ProDVD can drive many Sony/Philips drives now.  But DVD
+RW was really designed for data usage, not consumer players, hence why
it took awhile (despite what Sony/Philips ads say about the "most
compatible consumer format").

There's been a lot of shots fired on the DVD Consortium v. DVD+RW
Consortium front.  I try to avoid it.  I've been using DVD-RAM since
'98, and adopted DVD-R in 2000 on-ward.  Sony/Philips promised a lot,
but they let a lot of consumers down on anything except the fact that
DVD+RW is the fastest.  Of course, I could get into the whole CAV v. CLV
issue, which isn't really much of an issue on a "single groove" CD-
R/DVD-R (because the timing and pits are always the same, linear
relativity), but wreaks havoc with compatibility in a MO format (because
it's in a pie-slice like arrangement, which will vary in spacing,
etc...).

[ E.g., I retroactively call CAV CD-RW formats as CD+RW, because they
are very, very different and can even cause "damage" to drives than CLV
CD-RW.  Same deal, DVD-RAM and DVD-RW are CLV, DVD+RW are CAV.  There
are physical format differences between a CLV MO and a CAV MO. ]

Bryan J. Smith                                     b.j.smith at ieee.org
It is mathematically impossible for someone who makes more than you
to be anything but richer than you.  Any tax rate that penalizes them
will also penalize you similarly (to those below you, and then below
them).  Linear algebra, let alone differential calculus or even ele-
mentary concepts of limits, is mutually exclusive with US journalism.
So forget even attempting to explain how tax cuts work.  ;->