[CentOS] Need help with postgresql authentication set up

Lamar Owen lowen at pari.edu
Wed Jun 8 14:28:58 UTC 2005

On Wednesday 08 June 2005 09:53, James B. Byrne wrote:
> I think that I need to locate a custom pam module to use in
> pg_hba.conf that will allow phpPgAdmin to authenticate users
> against /etc/password (shadow).  I cannot seem to find a straight
> forward reference to such a beast either in the documentation or on
> the web.  The pam modules that I have found through google seem to
> be intended to allow one to authenticate against a pg database
> rather than designed to allow postmast to authenticate users
> against unix.

> pam_unix modules do not seem work perhaps because postmast runs as
> user postgres and this user does not posses sufficient authority to
> access /etc/passwd etc.

You'll get good answers from the pgsql-admin at postgresql.org list; this is a
generic PostgreSQL issue.

PostgreSQL does its own authentication and permissions that are completely
independent of the Unix/PAM auth in use.  Having said that, see
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.0/interactive/auth-methods.html#AUTH-PAM for
more information about auth with PAM.  The gist is that the user must exist
in the database as well as in the PAM subsystem used.  Also see the parent of
the above URL.
--
Lamar Owen
Director of Information Technology