[CentOS] Centos 4 - text based install - LVM ?

alex at milivojevic.org alex at milivojevic.org
Thu Jun 9 15:07:14 UTC 2005

Quoting bards1888 <bards1888 at gmail.com>:

> Has anyone gotten this to work ?
>
> I can define a raid device but cant put a VG on it. I then tried
> 'autopartition' and it created an 'LVM' of sorts, when I tried to
> edit it I wasnt able to as a message appeared saying, LVM editing was
> not allowed in text mode.

You can't do much of the work with LVM in text mode.  The only thing you could
do is to either boot into graphics, or use kickstart installation.  You can do
full kickstart file that will give you fully automated installation process
(Anaconda will not prompt for anything), or you could create one that contains
only file system layout information (Anaconda should prompt for options
missing
in the kickstart file).

If you don't know how to create kickstart file, do a "normal" (no LVM,
no RAID)
installation.  Anaconda will create kickstart file based on your input (with
partition info commented, but you'd need to replace that part of the file
anyhow) in /root/anaconda-ks.cfg.  Edit that file, place it on a floppy as
ks.cfg, boot from installation CD and on boot prompt type "linux
ks=floppy". Sit back and relax as your system is automatically
installed.

The full kickstart documentation is part of Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4 System
Administration Guide:

http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/enterprise/RHEL-4-Manual/sysadmin-guide/

The LVM+RAID1 part in kickstart file would look something like this.
The /boot
partition can not be part of LVM.  If you don't want to have separate /boot
partition, than you'll need to take root partition out of LVM.  Replace
sda and
sdb with whatever your disks are called.  Add/remove file systems that you
need/don't need.  Change file system sizes to match your needs (and
disk size).
If you decide to use Grub as boot loader, you'll need to perform some
additional work to make second disk bootable (in case first disk fails).  LILO
will do the right thing out of the box.

part raid.01 --size 128 --ondisk sda --asprimary
part raid.02 --size 128 --ondisk sdb --asprimary
part raid.11 --size 1 --grow --ondisk sda --asprimary
part raid.12 --size 1 --grow --ondisk sdb --asprimary
raid /boot --level 1 --device md0 raid.01 raid.02
raid pv.00 --level 1 --device md1 raid.11 raid.12
volgroup sys pv.00
logvol / --name root --vgname sys --fstype ext3 --size 1024
logvol swap --name swap --vgname sys --fstype swap --size 2048
logvol /var --name var --vgname sys --fstype ext3 --size 2048
logvol /usr --name usr --vgname sys --fstype ext3 --size 10240
logvol /srv --name srv --vgname sys --fstype ext3 --size 4096
logvol /opt --name opt --vgname sys --fstype ext3 --size 4096
logvol /home --name home --vgname sys --fstype ext3 --size 1 --grow