[CentOS] A questiong about replacing my failing drive

Mark Weaver mdw1982 at mdw1982.com
Sun Jun 12 01:11:47 UTC 2005

Rodrigo Barbosa wrote:

> Okey, picking the one I think is the least likely to lead to a
> flamewar (except regarding top-posting :)).
>
> On Sun, Jun 12, 2005 at 12:10:52AM +0100, Peter Farrow wrote:
>
>>use G4U to clone it to an ftp server or second drive
>>
>>much easier
>

> I have not checked G4U yet, so I really mean this as a question:
>
> How is it easier ? dump | restore is as straightfoward as it gets.
> I have been using it for 15+ years, and never had a problem (except
> for raiserfs filesystems, of course).
>
> Yes, if I were going to produce a lot of copies of the same disk, then
> I would look for something like Ghost (or G4U, will check it later
> tonight). But for this particular task ?

all right then...I'll bite. All I've ever personally known is Norton
Ghost which is why I'm so quick to mention its use. I'm, however,
extremely curious and eagar to learn new techniques such as the one
you're talking about. Why not lay the process out so's we can get a look
at how to work it? I've got a few drives around, especially one that I'd
like to clone that has some bad sectors on it that I really need a file
from - its a program I wrote a while back that I simply don't want to
have to re-write.

--
Mark