[CentOS] A questiong about replacing my failing drive

Mark Weaver mdw1982 at mdw1982.com
Sun Jun 12 12:45:29 UTC 2005

Bryan J. Smith wrote:
> On Sat, 2005-06-11 at 17:17 -0400, Mark Weaver wrote:
>
>>because it simply works with the least amount of possibility for error.
>>Its a matter of using the right tool for the job. nothin more nothin less.
>

> Whoa!
> Sorry, but us long-time UNIX admins would greatly _differ_ with you.
>
> I typically use 'find|cpio', and someone else mentioned 'dump|restore'
> and I know 'tar c|tar x' is yet another.  These are _native_ tools of
> the UNIX platform.
>
> Ghost, Drive Copy/Image, etc... are great for dealing with NT which
> doesn't like to be cloned.  But in UNIX/Linux, the native tools of the
> OS are far better.

And you long time Unix admins are one of the biggest reasons I read this
mailing list. While I do like ghost I have to confess to a small amount
of baiting because it tends to extract this kind of conversation a
little quicker. well let me say it tends to provoke a much wider range
of knowledge with a single probe than just asking a question. Yeah...a
little twisted, but its fun too.

Since a Unix/Linux guru/admin is what I want to be when I grow up, (my
wife tells me thats not likely to happen - me growing up), I would love
to hear about your process.

--
Mark