[CentOS] centos' current release versions?

Mon Jun 13 09:49:25 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-06-13 at 10:19 +0200, Farkas Levente wrote:
> hi,
> what is the current release versions for centos? it seems to a trivial
> question although:
> - centos/3 -> 3.4 why not to 3.5?
> - centos/4 -> 4.0 why not to 4.1?
> on the other hand
> # rpm -q centos-release
> centos-release-4-1.2
> why not centos-release-4.1-2? in the current case we can't write in
> yum's repo file we can't write:
> .../centos/$releasever/os/$basearch/
> since $releasever is 4 and not 4.1 (or 4.0) so we have to lean on the
> symlink which currently point to an older version. but even if it's
> point to the right version imho it'd be better if $releasever should be
> 4.1 rather then 4.

It needs to be 4 (or 3) for 3rd party apps.

3.4 and 4.0 are still the Official releases.

When the 3/ and 4/ are changed THEN, 3.5 and 4.1 will be the official
releases.

We can't change the symlink until all the arches are ready ... and
x86_64 for each is not ready yet.

If you choose to use 3.5 or 4.1 before that time, you must manually edit
your yum.conf (for 3.x) or CentOS-Base.repo (for 4.x) to point to the
new repo (3.5 or 4.1) and not $releasever.

For the vast majority of users, it is best to just wait until the 3/ and
4/ become the officially released version ... all security updates are
already released from the updates (on day 1), only enhancements and
bugfixes are left as part of the 3.5 or 4.1 process.