[CentOS] Php package for Microsoft-SQL -- integrated layer 2 + layer 3 name services

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Mon Jun 13 18:14:12 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-06-13 at 12:27, Bryan J. Smith wrote:

> 4.  Tame legacy protocols
>
> This is my personal favorite.  An integrated layer 2 + layer 3 server
> should support some legacy protocols -- both to proxy them, as well as
> identify them.  E.g., if someone is broadcasting NetBIOS or SAP, the
> integrated server should not only integrate that name into its tree
> (assuming some basic logic), but also give an easy way for
> administrators to identify nodes on the network that are still using
> them!

Does anything exist that has that 'basic logic'?   The legacy forms
work and scale worldwide because the authority to use names is
carefully delegated.  If two self-issued names are broadcast on
the same network, who wins?  What if they are on different subnets
and can't see each other but you try to integrate them with such
a tool?  What if they normally live on different networks but are
mobile and eventually collide?   I'd really prefer not to let anyone's
laptop claim to be the company email server and get away with it.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell at gmail.com