[CentOS] Serial Console + VGA Console

Paul Heinlein heinlein at madboa.com
Thu Jun 16 15:34:49 UTC 2005

On 6/16/05 8:24 AM, Gerald Waugh wrote:

> Trying to get vga console and a serial console to both work.
> I can get either one to fully work but not both.
> When using serial, I do still get a login prompt on the vga,
> But not all the boot up output. Seems like half to the vga
>  and the rest to the serial port
>
> I added lines to /etc/inittab
> # console port
> T0:12345:respawn:/sbin/agetty -L ttyS0 115200
>
> And added to /etc/lilo.conf
> append="console=tty0 console=ttyS0,115200n8"
>
> I tried to add to "serial=0,115200n8" lilo.conf, but this gives error
>   unsoported baud rate, commenting the line out seems to work.
>
> Any ideas on how to get both VGA and serial console to fully work?
> Maybe, I can have one but not the other?

The /dev/console output, like the return values from the init scripts,
will be directed only to the *last* console mentioned in your append=
section.

Given your configuration, and assuming a normal PC BIOS that doesn't do
any funky serial-port redirection, I'd expect that you'd see

a) BIOS output on VGA
b) boot loader output on VGA and serial
c) boot-time kernel and init output on serial
d) initial motd and login prompt on VGA and serial

That's completely normal (and the best I've been able to do).

If someone has a tricky way of getting /dev/console spew to both VGA and
serial at boot time, I too would like to hear it!

--
Paul Heinlein <> heinlein at madboa.com <> www.madboa.com