[CentOS] SiL311x SataRaid (sata_sil)

Dag Wieers dag at wieers.com
Sat Jun 18 15:47:29 UTC 2005

On Sun, 19 Jun 2005, Brian Parish wrote:

> On Sunday 19 June 2005 00:58, Dag Wieers wrote:
>
> > On my x86_64 system I have a SiL311x controller that can do RAID. If I
> > configure my 2 identical disks in a RAID1 setup, I would expect to see
> > only 1 block device on Linux. Still I see 2 block devices.
> >
> > Is this intentional, and if so, isn't that dangerous ? (i.e. writing to
> > both disks at the same time)
> >
> > Anyone with an insight, please explain :)
>
> Not REAL RAID - requires a Windoze driver to make it work.  Software RAID is
> your friend unless you want to spring for a 3ware card (not cheap).

Ok, that's what I was suspecting, as I noticed now that the VIA SataRaid
has the same problem :) Now I understand why people said that some of
these devices are not real hardware RAID, this works because it needs a
special driver. (I never understood how a hardware component could do
that, but never thought about specialized drivers)

I'm used to ServeRAID.

So whatever I configure in the BIOS, it has no effect on Linux, right ?

Thanks,