[CentOS] Re: OT raid controller -- IT8212 = embedded core + 32KB SRAM (SCSI block driver)

Bryan J. Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Mon Jun 20 02:47:17 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-06-19 at 21:26 -0500, Bryan J. Smith wrote:
> There is both a "dumb" SCSI block driver (most true hardware RAID cards
> are "dumb" drivers because all the intelligence is on-board) that can
> drive the "intelligent" mode.

Okay, after further investigation, I discovered that they are a number
of different firmwares available for this IC.  Most specifically, it
seems the ATAPI and RAID firmwares are _mutually_exclusive_.  I.e., if
you flash the ATAPI firmware, or your mainboard comes with it, it
doesn't have the RAID functionality, and vice-versa.  And there's no
standard/guaranteed way to flash unless you get the PCI card version --
mainboard manufacturers might have changed things.

But assuming you do have the RAID firmware loaded in your mainboard's
version, here is where you can download the _SCSI_ driver version:
http://www.ite.com.tw/software_download/software_download2.asp

Source is provided for both 2.4.x and 2.6.x.

>From what I've seen, people are recommending this driver _only_ when you
use the intelligent RAID support, and not for regular ATA devices (let
alone ATAPI devices).  So you'll need to load the SCSI subsystem
(scsi_mod) and SCSI disk support (sd_mod) as well as this iteraid
driver, so make an initrd that does so.

Bryan J. Smith                                     b.j.smith at ieee.org
It is mathematically impossible for someone who makes more than you
to be anything but richer than you.  Any tax rate that penalizes them
will also penalize you similarly (to those below you, and then below
them).  Linear algebra, let alone differential calculus or even ele-
mentary concepts of limits, is mutually exclusive with US journalism.
So forget even attempting to explain how tax cuts work.  ;->