[CentOS] CentOS 4.0 -> 4.1 update failing

Mon Jun 20 18:18:48 UTC 2005

On Mon, June 20, 2005 9:05 am, alex at milivojevic.org said:
> Quoting alex at milivojevic.org:
>> What might be checked first is if FC3 NPTL fix for i386 glibc is
>> reallity?  Is
>> it included with RHEL4 glibc?
>
> I just took a quick look at the RHEL4 glibc spec file.  It contains lines:
>
> %define nptlarches i386 i686 athlon x86_64 ia64 s390 s390x sparcv9 ppc
> ppc64
>
> and then:
>
> %ifarch %{nptlarches}
> %define enablekernelnptl 2.4.20
> %ifarch i386
> %define nptl_target_cpu i486
> %define tls_subdir tls/i486
> %else
> %define nptl_target_cpu %{_target_cpu}
> %define tls_subdir tls
> %endif
> %endif
>
> So, I'd say just compile it for i386, and it should work correctly.  It'll
> use
> i486 instructions for NPTL support.  Some testing to see if NPTL is really
> working might be needed.  That's apperently the way Red Hat is doing it,
> so
> CentOS should follow.

RedHat doesn't support i586 support at all with CentOS-4 ... not via the
kernel or glibc.  CentOS (starting with version 3.3) built an i586 kernel.

CentOS-4 continued this support.

One way to support this would be to use the i386 version.  Seems like what
RH recommended on the upstream bug I submitted.

I can also modifiy the spec file to build an i586 glibc.

So the best thing to do at this point is probably to download and install
the 4.0 glibc.i386 (glibc-2.3.4-2.i386.rpm) like this:

wget
http://mirror.centos.org/centos/4.0/os/i386/CentOS/RPMS/glibc-2.3.4-2.i386.rpm

rpm -Uvh --force glibc-2.3.4-2.i386.rpm

then do a normal upgrade to CentOS-4.1