[CentOS] CentOS 4.0 -> 4.1 update failing

Bryan J. Smith <b.j.smith@ieee.org> thebs413 at earthlink.net
Mon Jun 20 19:53:54 UTC 2005

> RedHat doesn't support i586 support at all with CentOS-4 ... not via the
> kernel or glibc.  CentOS (starting with version 3.3) built an i586 kernel.
> CentOS-4 continued this support.
> One way to support this would be to use the i386 version.  Seems like what
> RH recommended on the upstream bug I submitted.

I'm sure, based on my prior conversation with Cox, that Red Hat really
has absolutely _no_ interest in supporting i586 out of sheer marketshare.
It's either i486 (i386) or i686 for them.

Unlike i486 and i686, i586 is a _specific_ (and partially buggy**) product --
namely original Pentium and Pentium MMX products and _no_ other.
All subsequent Intel products (Pentium Pro on-ward) have been i686.
And _all_ clones, cores, etc... have either been i486 or i686 ISA compatible.

[ **NOTE:  I'm not talking about the FPU bug.  That was minor compared
to many of its other bugs and, even worse, some real design flaws in the
ALU and control. ]

Bryan J. Smith   mailto:b.j.smith at ieee.org