[CentOS] Re: Opteron Mobo Suggestions

Kirk Bocek t004 at kbocek.com
Wed Jun 22 19:28:00 UTC 2005

Bryan J. Smith <b.j.smith at ieee.org> wrote:
> Do you understand what NCQ does?
> It allows an intelligent drive to queue for the bus,
> because the bus is dumb.
>
> So what do you think an intelligent strorage controller does?
> (light bulb!)

Yes, I understand. I also don't have an unlimited budget. If I can get
most of the benefit without needing a $300-800 add-on, that's a big plus.

> Put in an out-of-band GbE card or iSCSI HBA instead.  Trust me on
> this, you do _not_ want USB or FireWire.

I conceptually understand iSCSI, but how would I use a GbE NIC in a
backup solution? Don't forget that a backup solution would depend on
hot-pluggability. That's why I was thinking of USB/IEEE-1394.

> I like the HP DL385 (2-way) and DL585 (4-way) servers.

Cool, I will take a look at HP's offerings. Do you have any motherboards
alone that you would recommend?

Kirk Bocek