[CentOS] Re: Opteron Mobo Suggestions

Peter Arremann loony at loonybin.org
Wed Jun 22 19:53:45 UTC 2005

On Wednesday 22 June 2005 13:29, Bryan J. Smith <b.j.smith at ieee.org> wrote:
> Tyan continues to disappoint me by putting _all_ I/O on 1 CPU.
> The only option where they don't is the nForce Pro 2200+2050
> combination on the S2895 where the 2050 goes on CPU #2.
> Tyan should put the AMD8131 on CPU #2 on the 2891/2892
> so it doesn't contend with the nForce 2200 on CPU #1 and
> its slots/peripherals (and there is no 2050).

Bryan,

there are sometimes more important things than max performance...
Upgradability i.e. ... If you buy a complete server its one thing, but if
you're offering parts and people build there own they often do consider
upgradability. If you buy a server that right now should run fine with 1 CPU
but you want to upgrade later to a second one, then the Tyan design is for
you. This way you can run all your I/O still and still not have to pay extra
for the second CPU up front. The Tyan website even mentions this somewhere as
the reason for the design decision.

Peter.