[CentOS] Re: Opteron Mobo Suggestions

Bryan J. Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Thu Jun 23 04:21:06 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-06-22 at 23:22 -0400, Juan Carlos wrote:
> Out of curiosity..... why a 3ware 8506-4 and not a 3ware 9500 4 port card?

A lot of people are reporting issues with them.

The 9500 series adds DRAM (to the existing ASIC+SRAM design of the
7500/8500 series).  There still seems to be a lot of maturity on the
part of the firmware.  I remember 3Ware played with RAID-5 quite awhile
on the 6000 series and they eventually had to develop a new ASIC (which
then appeared in the 7000 series) before they got it right.

At least a lot of people are still reporting issues, so until I hear
otherwise, I've been avoiding deploying the 9500.  I have only one in
use, which seems to be okay for its light duties.

Besides, the 8506-4 at RAID-10 will give you about the same performance.
You don't need any DRAM buffer for RAID-0, 1 or 10.

Bryan J. Smith                                     b.j.smith at ieee.org
It is mathematically impossible for someone who makes more than you
to be anything but richer than you.  Any tax rate that penalizes them
will also penalize you similarly (to those below you, and then below
them).  Linear algebra, let alone differential calculus or even ele-
mentary concepts of limits, is mutually exclusive with US journalism.
So forget even attempting to explain how tax cuts work.  ;->