[CentOS] How fouled-up can you get??

Lamar Owen lowen at pari.edu
Thu Jun 23 17:31:35 UTC 2005

On Thursday 23 June 2005 12:25, Bear Tooth wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Jun 2005, Lamar Owen wrote:
> > Slightly off topic, but this is not a high traffic mailing list.
> > Try fedora-list if you want something with a little more traffic.
> >
> > I get over 1500 e-mails per day.  This list has a low volume. :-)
>
> Slightly more off topic (because that's not the issue) : yaaa,
> shuuure -- if you have a .edu address. Been there done that. Try it
> from adelphia the utterly accursed.

Steering this towards something that is at least slightly on topic, I run my
own e-mail servers on CentOS4 (using the easily understood sendmail; easily
understood compared to what I used 14 years ago when I first 'registered'
lorc.uucp in the Bad Old Days of dialup uucp).

I have, let's see, 24 e-mail addresses, which includes postmaster at pari.edu as
well as postmaster at a couple of .com's, three .org's, and a handful
of .net's.  The pari.edu mailserver is not currently on CentOS, though; it's
on Aurora 1.92+ on an UltraSPARC.  Thought about putting it on AlphaCore on
the big quad AlphaServer downstairs; but the 250MHz USPARCII runs circles
around the quad 275MHz EV45 in the AS2100, at least when the big CPU hog is
MailScanner and cronies.  For lamarowen.net, which IS running CentOS 4, I use
a Soyo DRAGON and a cheap Duron with 768MB of RAM and 800GB of drives.  Small
box, under my desk.  Makes a nice footwarmer.  For another site, a Dell
PowerEdge 750 (which has some issues with the release CentOS 4 kernel that
the U1 kernel seems to have fixed) with sendmail, amavisd-new, clamav, and
spamassassin (milter mode) works like a charm.  For yet another site the same
soup on a PE1750 does the trick; CentOS 4 again.  Good stuff.

My ISP e-mail account gets a mere couple dozen e-mails per day, and has a very
large inbox.  Back in 1996 when that ISP first went into business, all my
list e-mail went there, and I got up to over 2,000 e-mails per day.  Their
OpenVMS servers had large inboxes, and things worked fine.
--
Lamar Owen
Director of Information Technology