[CentOS] Moving Linux hard drive to another machine. Possible?

Maciej Żenczykowski maze at cela.pl
Thu Jun 23 18:33:03 UTC 2005

Yes you should be able to without any major problems.
The only pitfall maybe that your working system maybe configured to mount
filesystems by LABEL (ie /etc/fstab LABEL=/ etc) which is never a good
thing as you'd likely have two filesystems with a "/" label (one on each
disk), thus you'd probably first want to change all LABEL references in
the /etc/fstab of the working system to normal /dev/hdX /dev/sdX device
entries.  Afterwards everything should work no problem.  (assuming the new
machine has kernel drivers for the filesystems you used on the old
machine, which might be a problem - but the centosplus kernel has pretty
much everything...)

Cheers,
MaZe.