[CentOS] [OT] Memory Models and Multi/Virtual-Cores -- WAS: 4.0 -> 4.1 update failing

Bryan J. Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Fri Jun 24 12:58:39 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-06-24 at 07:42 -0500, Bryan J. Smith wrote:
> I'll find it.  It was from a gentlemen from AMD that discussed it in a
> thread right after Intel announced EM64T.  Linus & co. were talking
> about how EM64T is still using a 32-bit platform underneath.  The AMD
> gentlemen commented how they a few vendors had a BIOS option "Linux" for
> the memory access, and the Linux kernel could support linear addressing
> above 4GB.

Ack, it doesn't appear to be directly in the 2004Feb17 thread:
  http://kerneltrap.org/node/2466

There are a few comments on how the Athlon differs from Intel because of
the Alpha EV6, but not the more technical detail I was referring to.

Again, to get this "mode" you have to:
a)  Tell the BIOS to enable a "Linux" memory mode
b)  Have a Linux kernel (Linux/x86-64 I believe?) that supports it

Yes, that's a modification of the Linux/x86-64 kernel running on a "32-
bit" Athlon, because it offers the extended, linear memory addressing
and other memory management.

BTW, the official name for Intel EM64T products _are_ IA-32e for a
number of reason.  ;-ppp

Bryan J. Smith                                     b.j.smith at ieee.org
It is mathematically impossible for someone who makes more than you
to be anything but richer than you.  Any tax rate that penalizes them
will also penalize you similarly (to those below you, and then below
them).  Linear algebra, let alone differential calculus or even ele-
mentary concepts of limits, is mutually exclusive with US journalism.
So forget even attempting to explain how tax cuts work.  ;->