[CentOS] [OT] Memory Models and Multi/Virtual-Cores -- WAS: 4.0 -> 4.1 update failing

Bryan J. Smith <b.j.smith@ieee.org> thebs413 at earthlink.net
Fri Jun 24 21:42:03 UTC 2005

From: James Olin Oden <james.oden at gmail.com>
> Any idea what the BIOS actually does to enable "linux" memory mode?
> That is what registers are poked in the MCH (I assume it would be the
> MCH)?   Do you think this could be done post bios by say a boot
> loader?

It completely _breaks_ Intel GTL compatibility at the APIC level IIRC.
You can _not_ run Windows on it or a "normal" Linux kernel.

From: Feizhou <feizhou at graffiti.net>
> http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=107759901509280&w=2
> The Linux option in bios is mentioned here.
> http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=107757492125437&w=2
> I think what Bryan here is talking about is called IOMMU by the kernel guys.

No, that was already at the bottom of the link I sent before.

I was referring to _another_ thread where a gentlemen from AMD (with
an amd.com address) was talking about the hack that enables this.  It
is a little known feature because only 2-3 mainboards have the BIOS
hack as an option.

Bryan J. Smith   mailto:b.j.smith at ieee.org