[CentOS] [OT] Memory Models and Multi/Virtual-Cores -- WAS: 4.0 -> 4.1 update failing

Bryan J. Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Sun Jun 26 00:21:20 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-06-25 at 18:09 -0400, Peter Arremann wrote:
> Heavy network IO for a webserver is a 100mbit link.
> Heavy network IO for a database server is a trunked gigabit link or something
> proprietary like a firelink.
> Heavy disk IO is 4 to 8 fibre links to an EMC or netapp.
> I was simply using IPM as an example because it runs on exactly the kind of
> hardware we've been talking about - dual/quad opterons... v40z to be exact.

I was just saying that "Heavy [network] IO" from a performance
standpoint of optimally leveraging Opteron NUMA/HyperTransport (or most
RISC/UNIX platforms) versus just your typical, desktop PC-focused (just
wider) Xeon MCH interconnect is rarely done with web apps.

Case-in-point:  I've seen far too many consultants used to designing web
servers install a piss-poor network fileserver or LAN application
server.  And when I've challenged them or their clients on this, they
have absolutely no idea what I'm talking about.  It's only when I put my
money where my mouth's at with a minimal investment and minor system
change that they realize what I'm talking about.

Bryan J. Smith                                     b.j.smith at ieee.org
It is mathematically impossible for someone who makes more than you
to be anything but richer than you.  Any tax rate that penalizes them
will also penalize you similarly (to those below you, and then below
them).  Linear algebra, let alone differential calculus or even ele-
mentary concepts of limits, is mutually exclusive with US journalism.
So forget even attempting to explain how tax cuts work.  ;->