[CentOS] Re: Stability, if that's the word (was Re: How fouled-up can you get??)

Ugo Bellavance ugob at camo-route.com
Mon Jun 27 14:48:07 UTC 2005

beartooth wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 13:31:35 -0400, Lamar Owen wrote:
>

> So, getting back to the real topic, I'm especially interested in matters
> of stability, if that's the term of art: CentOS is basically a clone of
> RHEL without the price nor the phone support -- right?

To me, yes. I run mail filtering servers (MailScanner) based on CentOS,
a web development/backup/multi-purpose server, and a production
php/mysql web app server with CentOS and they're doing great.  I had
same stability with Tao Linux before, but I switched to CentOS a while ago.

> I ran boughten RH,
> and had RHN all those years, and never picked up a phone. RedHat's
> updates, and help from online, kept it on an even keel.
>
> Gretchenfrage : is it looking like an electronically ignorant old retired
> fart will be able to install CentOS, set each machine to do nightly yum
> update, and go back to doing what he does, maybe for a year or two at a
> time? The learning curve at least ought to be minimal, for a RedHat
> refugee ...

You'd still need to check what updates are installed and fix problems,
but it is a good, over-simplified summary.