[CentOS] SW-RAID on 2 SATA controllers

alex at milivojevic.org alex at milivojevic.org
Mon Jun 27 19:11:24 UTC 2005

Quoting Jon McCauley <jmccauley at ontarioweb.ca>:

>> I have done it in the past with with mediocre success... drive
>> failure brought down the box - but once I disconnected the drive
>> everything worked off the mirror.
> Could that not be caused by your pin setting on the drives, since the
> master was still trying to over ride the slave........?

Probably not.  Linux software RAID drivers do a nice job, if your hardware is
healthy.  If you have one drive "half-dead", usually the driver is not smart
enough to stop using it, which often results in frozen box.  It just keeps
retrying to access failing drive, eventually blocking all disk I/O.  I've run
into it several times.  Physical removal of failing drive is the only option.

I've no idea why the driver simply doesn't give up on the disk it has problem
accessing, marking it as failed.  Probably a case of missing code to implement
the functionality ;-)