[CentOS] boot failure after install

Wed Jun 29 15:33:46 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-06-29 at 09:59 -0500, alex at milivojevic.org wrote:

> > That is just how I do it ... and it works for Raid1 or Raid5 :)
>
> Are you saying your /boot2 is RAID 5?  You will not be able to boot of it, in
> case disk with /boot fails.  Whatever partition contains kernel and initrd
> images, must be either normal partition or two component RAID 1 (2+ component
> RAID 1, usually called RAID 0+1 and RAID 1+0 will not work).  In case it is
> RAID 1, it works since each component of RAID 1 can be accessed as "normal"
> partition by boot loader (since boot loader only reads, and do not write, this
> is OK).  For any other RAID configuration, components can not be accessed as
> "normal" partitions, the data on the volume is accessible as RAID only, and
> boot loaders are not capable of doing something like that.

No ... /boot2 is not on raid at all ... it is just a non-raid partition.

I normally build machines (that I am going to do RAID on) with X number
of the same hard drives.  (Lets say {4} 80gb drives as an example)

so ... I would have a 100mb partition on each drive that is not raid ...
on the first drive it is mounted as /boot ... on the others it
is /boot2, /boot3, /boot4 ... etc.  Rsync boot to the others (and make
the partitions bootable)

so ... boot is backed up ... everything else is RAID5