[CentOS] IMP 4

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Thu Jun 30 05:49:58 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-06-29 at 23:09 -0400, Chris Mauritz wrote:
> Alexander Dalloz wrote:
>
> >Am Do, den 30.06.2005 schrieb Craig White um 4:57:
> >

> >>I have installed IMP on CentOS-4 and on CentOS-3 and RHEL-3 and there
> >>didn't seem to be much of a difference.
> >>
> >>Craig
> >>

> >The difference and probably the problem (at least the most work) is the
> >big change between Horde 2 / IMP 3 to Horde 3 / IMP 4. Configuration
> >changed a lot, so some comparison is needed to convert settings.
> >

> Has Horde gotten any easier to install?  I haven't fooled around with it
> in 2-3 years and remember having to wrestle with it to install on a RH
> 7.3 box.  I'm always a bit shy about installing programs that have this
> huge underlying "framework" dependency to deal with in order to make it
> work.  I do like the imp interface though.
----
I think that it has gotten somewhat easier to install. Horde 3 now has a
web based administration module. You have to keep in mind that it is
ambitious and considering that it traverses many daemons (an SQL db,
apache, imap) and uses some sophisticated php (requiring some pear
modules), etc. it isn't ever going to be a simple install. A good
administrator should be able to make it work in 2 hours. I consider 4-5
hours for install, customization/editing preferences to be standard for
install but for that, you now get webmail, shared contacts, shared
calendars, nice interface to sieve/procmail, and shared task lists.

Craig