[CentOS] nfs install : kernel panic

Thu Jun 30 11:18:21 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-06-30 at 12:30 +0200, Rénald Legendre wrote:
> hello,
>
> i just downloaded centos 4.1 dvd iso through bittorrent,
> compared it with the md5 checksum (result ok),
> and burned the 5Mb iso boot file, in order to make a nfs networked install.
>
> my nfs server is on 192.168.0.6 and i did a mount of the iso to /mnt/centos,
> then inserted the boot cd in the to-be-installed server, did a "ok, your
> ip is 192.168.0.7,
> the nfs server is 192.168.0.6, and the directory is /mnt/centos/", but
> there is a kernel panic...
>
> can someone tell me if there is something wrong with this please ?
> i already tried ftp & http installs, but it tells me
> "ftp://192.168.0.6//mnt/centos/(...)/net2(...).sys don't exist"
> (remark the two // after the ip address, both in ftp & http installs. i
> tried to do mnt/centos but the installer
> told me "no!").

You have to setup the server that has the DVD mounted as either a NFS
server and export the directory ... or as an ftp server that allows
access to the /mnt/centos directory ... or as an http server that allows
access to that directory.  The directory you want to point to is the one
that contains the GPL file and the CentOS directory (that is ... the
root of the DVD).

That setup of the server must be done (and you should test it works with
a different PC and connecting to it ... prior to trying to install).

If you don't want to setup a server, you can do an http or ftp install
from any mirror ...

As an example for a CentOS-4 i386 http install, you can point to:

Website Name:   mirror.centos.org

CentOS Directory:  centos/4/os/i386

-------------------------
You can also pick a mirror here:

http://www.centos.org/mirrors

(click --->Download Mirrors<--- link, then click on a mirror ... for our
example I will use RelouFR Networks ... Clicking the http link opens up:

http://centos.crazyfrogs.org/

so ... to do an http install from this mirror ... the path would be:

Website Name:  centos.crazyfrogs.org

CentOS Directory:  4/os/i386

Hope this helps,

--