[CentOS] 4.1 beta for Alpha platform

Pasi Pirhonen upi at iki.fi
Thu Jun 30 16:25:18 UTC 2005

Hi,

On Thu, Jun 30, 2005 at 08:39:24AM -0500, User Lists wrote:
> Hi Pasi,
>
>  I am running SRM on this machine (but I can use
> ARC/AlphaBIOS if it is necesary, au model). I have do
> it a test: I have downloaded vmlinux.gz file from
> beta.centos.org and when I try to decompress on a i386
> machine gives me this error:
>
> "gzip: vmlinux.gz: invalid compressed data--format
> violated".

Are you trying to boot the vmlinux.gz w/o aboot? Ie. directly from the
SRM-promt?

As i didn't 'violate' still the installation generation process, there
is not that small boot.iso even included. I am not sure if i can fit
this on 3xCD anymore, if i make one for use.

So sadly one needs to get full CD1 and use that for booting after
burning it to some CD-R/RW media and boot like

>> boot dqa0

or which ever is the is the CD-device on box.

I am not too familiar still with the netbooting and i am not sure if
the generic.img would be netbootable.

>  I try to decompress on another Alpha machine that has
> a debian sarge installed, end the error it is the
> same. But when I download this kernel image from
> AlphaCore (Fedora based alpha distro), error does not
> exists neither in the Intel or Alpha box ... Is this
> kernel image corrupt from some reason???

I am actually useing the bery same aboot/kernel than AlphaCore 1.0
(that FC3-based version), so there should not be any differences on
booting and the boxes that is working.

I am middle of making CentOS-4/s390 now as i do have access to LPAR and
the box is literally eating huge amounts of electricity, so i try to
get that done as fast as the box can compile it for me :)

After that i am looking the alpha version again to start polishing it a
bit.

> What information do you need??

That was about it, i think. You're using SRM as you should be.