[CentOS] Re: Directory Server for CentOS 4.1

Bryan J. Smith <b.j.smith@ieee.org> thebs413 at earthlink.net
Thu Jun 30 20:33:40 UTC 2005

From: alex at milivojevic.org
> Nope.  On Windows during login users usually selects domain part from
> drop-down box (yes, you can type it too if you want).

[ Not that this matters, but ... ]

First off, that's _only_ for the GINA portion, and not always.  Unless you
take the time to distribute all domains either at the server or client, you
won't always see all domains.

Secondly, inside of various apps, credentials are not always passed
correctly, which requires the nomenclature.  Of course, the application
can save the username and other settings in the application itself.
E.g., try to login to IIS' FTP server when you have multiple domains.  ;->
You'll have to pass the DOMAIN/user nomenclature in many cases.

> And usually whatever domain is selected in that drop-down box by
> default is the correct one for the owner of the particular PC.

[ Again, not that it matters, but ... ]

And the same can be said for applications on a UNIX system with a
particular user's login, and their configuration files (and mounted home
directory -- you are automounting home directories, yes?).

I'm kinda scratching my head here.  I can setup a user's IMAP
credentials in various applications (both Windows and UNIX/Linux)
to remember their username for the setup, so that is avoided.

I don't see the difference between multiple REALMs and multiple
NTDOM/ADSDOMs.  If you properly configure the login/apps to
remember the user's domain, then it's not an issue.

> Anyhow, historically real Unix accounts were used on email servers,
> so after switch to virtual accounts requirement was that users don't
> notice the change. Higher authority decided that it would be too
> complicated for non-technical population to swtich from "username"
> to "username at REALM".

[ Lastly, also mot that it matters, but ... ]

What are you using multiple REALMs for anyway if everyone was under
a "real UNIX" account before?

NOW WHAT MATTERS ...

_Please_ read up on how NsDS works.  It's _extremely_ "enterprise
class" and much more capable than OpenLDAP, which was more of an
"open framework" of different capabilities (not always well integrated).

http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/dir-server/ag/ssl.htm

"Netscape Directory Server
 Administrators Guide
 Chapter 11
 Configuring Kerberos
 Kerberos v5 must be deployed on your system to utilize the GSS-API mechanism
 for SASL authentication ...
 Realms
 A realm is a set of users and the authentication methods for those users
 to access the realm. A realm resembles a fully-qualified domain name and
 can be distributed across either a single server or a single domain across
 multiple machines. A single server instance can also support multiple realms.
 Realms are used by the server to associate the DN of the client in the
 following form, which looks like an LDAP URL:

 uid=<user_name/[server_instance]>,cn=realm,cn=mechanism,cn=auth
"

Is that more of what you were looking for?
How to put the Realm in the uid?

Bryan J. Smith   mailto:b.j.smith at ieee.org