[CentOS] Re: Vote For CentOS :) -- standing on the shoulders of each other

Fri Jun 3 17:06:15 UTC 2005
Bryan J. Smith <b.j.smith@ieee.org> <thebs413 at earthlink.net>

From: Maciej ?enczykowski <maze at cela.pl>
> BULLSHIT

And so it begins.
I think we've all had our say at this point.

I can understand (although not agree) with Les' viewpoint.
And I'm sure Simon feels like I do, Red Hat doesn't get due credit.

But this is why I dislike these "distro contests" in the first place.
The are entirely subjective and full of "absolutes" and "versus."
Reality is that there is much so much overlap.

*** Because we all stand on the shoulders of each other! ***

Vote CentOS if you like it best.
Vote RHEL if you like it best.
Do it on your own opinion for your own reasons.

I laid out what I thought mine were before.
At least one person liked it.

I try not to talk in "absolutes."
And try to understand why RHEL and CentOS exists, let alone the
Fedora Core and Red Hat Linux lineages.
Apparently people want to debate this from a marketing/branding,
and that's _always_ going to be "subjective."

There are those of us who aren't upset with Red Hat, and
deploy _both_ RHEL and CentOS for various reasons.
And there are those others of us who are upset with Red Hat,
and believe CentOS should not have to exist, that Red Hat
should be providing it.
And I'm sure there are others who wonder why people don't
just run Fedora Core, or another distro for that matter.

And yet other viewpoints different from those.

It's all GPL, so lets just appreciate each other.
This is what I meant by people focusing more on ripping
companies that produce GPL incompatible software, like
IBM, Sun (sans OpenOffice.org), etc...

<Flammatory=on>
Red Hat v. CentOS, etc... -- it's like being a Christian watching
Cathlotics and Protestants argue their religious viewpoints in
Northern Ireland.  Because in the end, it's really about focusing on
differences than similarities -- and it doesn't matter how close
those similarities are, people can find differences if they want.

Sorry for this political analogy, but it pretty much fits well.
At least from my ignorant American viewpoint.
</Flammatory>

Bryan J. Smith   mailto:b.j.smith at ieee.org