[CentOS] Need help with postgresql authentication set up

Wed Jun 8 13:53:53 UTC 2005
James B. Byrne <ByrneJB at Harte-Lyne.ca>

OS - CentOS4
PostgreSQL = 8.0.3

I think that I need to locate a custom pam module to use in
pg_hba.conf that will allow phpPgAdmin to authenticate users
against /etc/password (shadow).  I cannot seem to find a straight
forward reference to such a beast either in the documentation or on
the web.  The pam modules that I have found through google seem to
be intended to allow one to authenticate against a pg database
rather than designed to allow postmast to authenticate users
against unix.

pam_unix modules do not seem work perhaps because postmast runs as
user postgres and this user does not posses sufficient authority to
access /etc/passwd etc.

Any help would be gratefully accepted.

Regards,
Jim