[CentOS] Yum/RPM Update Conflicts

Fri Jun 10 02:59:25 UTC 2005
Wayne Bastow <ayu.njoman at gmail.com>

Hi,

I've been trying to sort this out for the past week. I had a RedHat
7.3 desktop install with a disk dying on it. The desktop has two disks
on it - one configured with /, /usr and /boot (this was the bad disk)
and the second had /var and /home. I obtained a replacement disk and
initially tried copying the /, /usr and /boot filesystems to the new
disk but this ended up being a problem. In the end I just did an
install of CentOS 3.3 (I already had some CDs for this) but I didn't
reformat /var and /home. Since the install I've been fighting with
dependencies while trying to do a yum update and I suspect it is to do
with the rpm databases (being in /var). The dependency that I am
having real problems with at the moment is initscripts and kbd. I have
tried to use yum update but I get:

.
.
Resolving dependencies
.conflict between initscripts and kbd

If I do yum list initscripts* kbd* I get:
.
.
Looking in Available Packages:
Name                                Arch   Version                  Repo
initscripts                         i386   7.31.22.EL-2.centos      base

Looking in Installed Packages:
Name                                Arch   Version                  Repo
initscripts                         i386   7.31.16.EL-1.centos.0    db
kbd                                 i386   1.08-10.2                db
kbdconfig                           i386   1.9.15-2                 db

I have tried yum remove kbd so that I can update initscripts (and
maybe get past the kbd problem) but get this:

Server: CentOS-3 - Addons
Server: CentOS-3 - Base
Server: CentOS-3 - Extras
Server: CentOS-3 - Updates
Finding updated packages
Downloading needed headers
Resolving dependencies
Dependencies resolved
I will do the following:
[erase: kbd 1.08-10.2.i386]
Is this ok [y/N]: y
Downloading Packages
Running test transaction:
Test transaction complete, Success!
error reading information on service keytable: No such file or directory
error: %trigger(kbd-1.08-10.2) scriptlet failed, exit status 1
Erased:  kbd 1.08-10.2.i386
Transaction(s) Complete

If I use rpm -e --noscripts kbd it appears to remove kbd but I am
still unable to update
initscirpts as there is still a conflict showing between the packages.

This is what I have at this stage:

yum list initscripts* kbd*
.
.
Looking in Available Packages:
Name                                Arch   Version                  Repo
initscripts                         i386   7.31.22.EL-2.centos      base
kbd                                 i386   1.08-10.2                base

Looking in Installed Packages:
Name                                Arch   Version                  Repo
initscripts                         i386   7.31.16.EL-1.centos.0    db
kbdconfig                           i386   1.9.15-2                 db

If I now try to update initscripts I get:
yum update initscripts
.
.
Resolving dependencies
.conflict between initscripts and kbd

At this stage I am trying to decide whether I need to try to install
again from scratch.
I also tried rebuilding the rpm database after removing the
/var/lib/rpm/__db* files.

Can someone make any suggestions as to what else I can try, please?

Thanks for your time,
Wayne