[CentOS] memory leaking?? kernel problem?

Fri Jun 10 23:37:29 UTC 2005
me at prestoncrawford.com <me at prestoncrawford.com>

I would think someone would have noticed this in RHEL or CentOS if it was a pure kernel problem. What all are you running in the way of daemons? Something there could be to blame, no? Also, if the servers are identical in terms of software and hardware, have you considered a memory check? When I made the switch from Windows to Linux I discovered something interesting. Since Linux caches memory (as you probably already know) sometimes you are more likely to find out memory is defective on Windows than Linux, especially if the defect is at the end of the RAM, if that makes sense. The first time I experienced this was with a computer that originally ran Windows. Since it never touched the full 768mb I never had a problem. I switched to Linux and it started crashing immediately. I blamed it on Linux, but then ran the memory test and found out that what was happening is that Windows never used enough memory to touch that spot of bad RAM. But Linux did, caching it all then crashing.

Maybe a longshot, but just in case your hardware and software configurations are identical (because you did mention two machines) it might be worth considering.

Preston