[CentOS] with CentOS 4, and certain RAM, what specific kernel then?

Wed Jun 29 04:45:04 UTC 2005
Robert Hanson <roberth at abbacomm.net>

greetings

how about some more of that practical CentOS stuff like amount of RAM vrs
specific kernel info...

im sure it is in a doc somewhere yet can someone enlighten...

in all cases running latest" CentOS 4.... and since we all know when we have
more than one processor, it is easy to choose SMP or not... and most of us
can tell if we are i386, i586, i686, AMD whatever, Opteron etc...

...yet, what "kernel type" is best at what memory sizes... i know there are
standard kernel and "hugemem" kernels and SMP and what have you.... are
there others ive missed?

at what amount of RAM should we go hugemem? is there more than one amount
depending on processor? im guessing yes.

is that what a lot of the discussions are about lately?

do you always use a stock kernel below that?

will a hugemem kernel self destruct at RAM memory amounts lower than what
amount of RAM specifically calls for "hugemem"...

and again... may i ask what web document spells this all out?

regards and tia

 - rh