[CentOS] Re: Hot swap CPU -- "build" is not a good CPU benchmark

Thu Jun 30 22:08:16 UTC 2005
Bryan J. Smith <b.j.smith@ieee.org> <thebs413 at earthlink.net>

From: Peter Arremann <loony at loonybin.org>
> Compiles aren't a great benchmark for a box since its 100% cpu and
> neglects memory or disk performance but I had the numbers handy
> for that :-)

BTW, it is 100% ALU and a major strain on the ALU LOAD.
In other words, it's not a good benchmark for even CPU.

That's why the 3-issue ALU in the Nx586 on-ward blows the 2-issue
ALU in PPro on-ward (especially the P4) to crap.

But that's all besides the point because it has _0_ to do with
server performance period, even computationally intensive.

Bryan J. Smith   mailto:b.j.smith at ieee.org