[CentOS] Vote For CentOS :)

Fri Jun 3 12:48:54 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-06-03 at 07:33 -0400, Simon Perreault wrote:
> On Thursday 02 June 2005 19:31, Johnny Hughes wrote:
> > No ... not at all.  RedHat does not spend any time making sure that the
> > people who use CentOS can get free updates.
>
> I think you will agree with me that the amount of work Red Hat put on CentOS
> (by way of RHEL) is much more significant than the work put on CentOS by
> CentOS volunteers. That is not to say that the work of CentOS volunteers is
> not to be appreciated. Don't get all worked up for nothing.

I am a little touchy on this subject ... being that I hear it so often.

I disagree ... the work that RedHat put into RHEL is significant.  It is
a great distro, and worthy to win this award and many others ... but so
is CentOS.

If you think RHEL is a BETTER distro than CentOS, you should vote that
way.

BUT ... they didn't put any work into CentOS.  All their work was put
into RHEL.  They are compensated fairly well for that work too, I might
add.

I, on the other hand, spend an average of 8-12 hours a day on CentOS
related activities.  As does Karanbir Singh (z00dax on IRC).  Most of
the other developers spend almost as much time as well.  Not only do we
not get paid anything for doing that, some of us end up having to pay
for centos related things (I have increased my bandwidth, bought compile
platforms, changed my home network infrastructure, etc. to be able to
better build CentOS and decrease the release times, at my own expense).
This is because people using CentOS won't donate even $1, one time, to
the project....oh well, such is life.

As pointed out many times before on this list, RedHat is a great
company, and they do a lot of things for the OSS community ... but they
are not the "owners" of the code that CentOS uses.  They get almost all
the items they publish from somewhere else. They are required,
therefore, to make their source code public.  They take that requirement
seriously, and they do an outstanding job of publishing their source
code openly.  They should be commended for that.  I do it every chance I
get :)

They published their Source code, as required by the GPL.  They added
Trademark requirements. We took their GPL work, modified it to comply
with their Trademark requirements (we actually go much further than
their stated requirements), and to created a distro.  A significant
amount of their packages have to be modified to build properly ... all
of them have to be reviewed.

Using your logic, The only people who would get credit are the
programmers who write the code for the parent projects.  Or the Fedora
Core volunteers who actually package and test probably 95% of the stuff
that get into RHEL.

So no, I don't think that you should vote for RHEL in a place where
CentOS is also listed ... any more than I think you should vote for
Debian if you use Ubuntu.  If CentOS isn't in that poll, then voting for
RHEL would be fine.  Now, if someone feels that RHEL is a better Distro
than CentOS (as distributed) ... then they should absolutely vote for
RHEL instead of CentOS.

That is, of course, only my opinion.  You have yours.  We are both
entitled to our own.  Neither is right or wrong.