[CentOS] opensource backup software suggestions please

Fri Jun 3 15:01:51 UTC 2005
Chris Mauritz <chrism at imntv.com>

Les Mikesell wrote:

>On Fri, 2005-06-03 at 08:15, Robin Mordasiewicz wrote:
>

>>What are the users here opinions on enteriprise grade opensource software
>>for doing backups, as an alternative to bakbone or veritas.
>>
>>We just have basic requirements, i.e backing up nfs servers.
>>

>If an online disk-based solution will work, with the ability to
>to manually archive a copy to tape, look at backuppc:
>http://backuppc.sourceforge.net/

I've found that backing up to another disk to be both faster and more
practical.  We've got a number of multi-terabyte RAID arrays to store
uncompressed video.  Backing all that data up to tape just isn't a
tenable solution.  So we've bitten the bullet and built an extra larger
multi-terabyte array to do online backups.  Periodically we do snapshots
of the data on that backup array (like you do on a netapp filer).  That
system works well for us.  It wouldn't cover us if the building burned
down so the next step is an offsite mirrored array.

Cheers,