[CentOS] CentOS/RHEL versioning scheme?

Fri Jun 3 15:06:35 UTC 2005
Lance Davis <lance at uklinux.net>

On Fri, 3 Jun 2005, Morten Kjeldgaard wrote:

> I am a bit puzzled at the versioning scheme of the RedHat clone family.
>
> RedHat seems to use integer 4, Tao and Centos does the same. If you do
>
> rpm -q --qf '%{version}\n' -f /etc/redhat-release
>
> you get '4'.
>
> However, Scientific Linux uses 4.0, and that seems to me to be a more
> logical choise, since presumable there are going to be versions 4.1,
> 4.2, etc.
>
> Is there any good reason for the version of package centos-release NOT
> to be 4.0? It has a significance in automated scripts trying to work out
> which distribution and version you are running, and it seems silly to
> treat the different RHEL4 clones differently.

CentOS uses '4' purely and simply to be compatible with Dag's (and other)
repos, whixch ae geared towards rhel using 4.

We used to use 4.x but had compaints that the configuration of yum was not
compatible with that suggested by Dag for rhel.

> It would make sense for CentOS to coordinate/agree_upon a common scheme
> among the different distributions.

CentOS has no control over what other distros do.

Regards
Lance

--
uklinux.net -
The ISP of choice for the discerning Linux user.