[CentOS] Vote For CentOS :)

Sat Jun 4 03:22:46 UTC 2005
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

On Fri, 2005-06-03 at 21:26, Lamar Owen wrote:

> > I'd put it this way instead: Red Hat is responsible for any
> > difficulty in creating the CentOS distribution, while sharing
> > the same upstream developers as all other Linux distributions.
>
> I'd put it this way:
> Red Hat makes CentOS possible at all by providing Source RPMs (which they are
> not required to do;

I was just having a moment of nostalgia for the old days. Do you
remember the time when Red Hat was building their reputation and
building a free version of Red Hat Linux took exactly *no* extra work
by another team that might instead be adding value by packaging new
programs in their repository?

> I have written spec
> files, and have maintained a specfile of moderate complexity; spec file
> hacking is not trivial.  Then there's the work of building an installable ISO
> image or image set; this is nontrivial as well.

There are other distributions.  Much of the value of this one comes
from that RPM-packaging work by others - much of which was started when
(and because) the RH base distribution was freely available.

--
  Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com