[CentOS] Thanks :)

Sat Jun 4 06:13:42 UTC 2005
Preston Crawford <me at prestoncrawford.com>

On Fri, 2005-06-03 at 14:09 -0500, Bryan J. Smith  wrote:
> From: Ajay <ajay at unisoftindia.net>
> > and hope that Redhat accepts the existance of this project and finds a
> > way to utilize it for good of both.
>
> You were doing fine up until this point.
>
> I think the speculation on Red Hat needs to stop, and I don't know why
> you had to interject this as well.  From what I've seen, I don't think
> Red Hat is in any legal position to accept the existance of any project,
> and I no longer want to go down the road of where Red Hat's "hands
> are tied" on the nagging trademark history.
>
> So let's just leave it be.

Umm.....

Nevermind. Keep fighting the fight. I was going to say "good fight", but
I don't think it's a good fight. It's certainly a fight. Although I
don't see what the point is. Doesn't Red Hat have lawyers to fight their
battles? Why are you fighting them? I think the previous statement was
pretty straight-forward. The poster hopes that Red Hat doesn't try to
stop the actions of groups like CentOS. Seems pretty innocuous to me. I
hope they don't either.

Also, whether they have a leg to stand on or not? Does it really matter?
If someday Red Hat wakes up and takes away CentOS just because I'm
pretty sure that most of the people using it could move to another
distro or even start their own based on Red Hat's sources. Fork and move
on without Red Hat. It's in Red Hat's interest to have these clones out
in the wild where people are testing, sometimes submitting bugs and also
learning the ropes so that when their boss someday asks where to
purchase support from, someone like me might say "get RHEL, I know it,
for the most part". Why are you fighting against this?

Preston