[CentOS] bad blocks showing up

Sat Jun 4 16:42:24 UTC 2005
John Hinton <webmaster at ew3d.com>

Ted Kaczmarek wrote:

>On Fri, 2005-06-03 at 16:44 -0400, Chris Mauritz wrote:
>

>>Jerry Geis wrote:
>>

>>>I am getting a few bad sector messages in my /var/log/messages.
>>>
>>>I have read where an "fsck -c -c /dev/hda" may be what I need.
>>>
>>>Before I go doing such things I am looking for confirmation that
>>>that is what I should do. Anyone please comment on how to
>>>tell linux to not use sectors in my disk. This is stright IDE no
>>>raid not nothing at this point /dev/hda is all.
>>>

>>If it was my system, that is the sign to shut down all non-critical
>>services and do an immediate full backup of the suspect volume.  When
>>the backup is done, replace the volume with a fresh disk and restore the
>>data.  You're just asking to get kicked in the hiney by trying to
>>manually mark the bad blocks and "write around them".  Disks are cheap.
>>Cobbling together destroyed data isn't.
>>
>>Cheers,

>I have seen what I consider an exorbitant amount of ide drive failure
>lately, granted most of these are lower grade machines, but the
>percentage of drives failing seems to be much higher than I recall. Is
>their possibly something with ext3 that stresses drives more?
>Maybe the location of the journaling info?
>
>Regards,
>Ted

>!DSPAM:42a0cf0a189348740014048!

In this day of cheap computers... just like the light bulb... It seems
the HD manufacturers have also managed to tune their products to expire
shortly after the warrenty is up. I'm simply not seeing the same quality
as we had 5 or 10 years ago, but instead, drives which quit at about 3
years or less. I'm speaking of the common cheap IDE drives which wind up
in consumers machines. Server grade drives don't seem to fall under this
category.. for me personally. I don't know where you can buy a server
grade IDEs as I haven't had the need to look.

Otherwise, I did have troubles with a LVM install and decided to never
try that one again... at least for a long time.

John Hinton