[CentOS] FrontPage Extensions

Mon Jun 6 14:39:07 UTC 2005
Jacob Leaver <jleaver+centos at reachone.com>

FrontPage Extensions are EOL, no replacements planned.  I'd speculate that
Microsoft chose to do this because of the sharepoint direction that they are
headed in, along with, I am sure, market share concerns.

In our hosting environment, I've EOL'd 'em too.  I always enjoyed UNIX FP
better than Windows, however, we now run a Windows 2003 server specifically
for those customers who will not, or can not use more secure, less
proprietary alternatives.

Just my two cents.

Jacob  Leaver
Senior Systems Administrator
ReachONE Internet

----- Original Message -----
From: "John Hinton" <webmaster at ew3d.com>
Sent: Monday, June 06, 2005 6:26 AM
Subject: Re: [CentOS] FrontPage Extensions

Bob Pierce wrote:

> Has anyone had success getting FrontPage extensions to work with
> Centos-4.
> I've been trying to set up a virtual hosting server with front page
> support.
> I found this page to help getting around the selinux problems:
> _http://www.rtr.com/fp2002disc/_disc2/00000be5.htm_
> but each problem I overcome I keep hitting another...
> Just wondering if anyone's had success with this on Centos-4 or if
> you've found any good tips to share.
> Thanks for your help,
> Bob Pierce.
>
> !DSPAM:42a449bb61377686111293!

>!DSPAM:42a449bb61377686111293!

I "had" it running on CentOS 3. I plan to never do it again. Server
updates, not sure which ones, would kill it. I'd have to go through the
whole convoluted install process again...

FrontPage will switch over to a "good" FTP mode easily, leaving only the
"extensions" to deal with. The most used would be the form. I simply do
a default install of a really good form script and provide the alternate
instructions to our users. I've not had request for any other "extensions".

RTR also has EOLs posted, which were unclear to me, but I didn't see
replacements listed for those products going into EOL, which was everything.

All things to be considered.

John Hinton