[CentOS] Re: dragging windows leaves traces -- running older GeForce drivers on newer cards

Mon Jun 6 17:19:57 UTC 2005
Bryan J. Smith <b.j.smith@ieee.org> <thebs413 at earthlink.net>

From: "Hilliard, Jay" <Jay.Hilliard at disney.com>
> We've had lots of trouble with nvidia's driver version 1.0-7174 which
> was current last week.

Yep, it's the first of a new series (7000 -- sounds like it'll support
NV5x out-of-the-box), so that's expected.

> Today there is a new driver (1.0-7664) which has fixed lots of issues
> for us, specifically openGL applications and problems when dragging
> windows around.

Yep.  They probably spent so much time testing OpenGL 2.0 that they
missed some OpenGL 1.x compatibiltiy testing that end-user quickly
found.  At least they addressed it in short-order.

-- Bryan

P.S.  I know there weren't any complaint about nVidia being "proprietary"
on this list, but several people on the Fedora lists snickered about it
not been open source as the problem.  The reality is that if it was
community developed, it would probably be available in another
6-12 months (much like ATI's prior UtahGLX/DRI endeavors were for
newer cards).

Bryan J. Smith   mailto:b.j.smith at ieee.org