[CentOS] WEP and CentOS 4

Wed Jun 8 00:44:21 UTC 2005
Bryan J. Smith <b.j.smith at ieee.org>

On Tue, 2005-06-07 at 23:41 +0200, Alexander Dalloz wrote:
> Proven what not secures wireless LAN:
> MAC Filtering, SSID hiding,

Yep.  Turning off that SSID broadcast, and denying Open System
access.  I don't know how many times I've gone into a company and
they've had "Open System" even though they're using WEP because
"oh, we had trouble getting WEP to work when it was Shared Key only."

Duh!

> LEAP Authentication (EAP-TLS, EAP-TTLS or PEAP would be secure
> alternates),

Actually, LEAP/PEAP EAP-TLS is proprietary Cisco/MS whereas EAP-TTLS
is open standard IETF.

> switching off DHCP,

Or at least MAC-based DHCP assignment (ala old BOOTP style), which
you'll want to do with MAC filtering anyway.

> postitioning of the antenna,

A little lead against the wall you don't want the signal to travel
goes a _long_way_.

> change to 1a (5 GHz)

Definitely, much stronger, although not as far.  Although the new
crop of 802.11a/b/g cards can do a now as well.

> or to Bluetooth

Er, um, not sure about that one.  ;-ppp

Bryan J. Smith                                     b.j.smith at ieee.org
It is mathematically impossible for someone who makes more than you
to be anything but richer than you.  Any tax rate that penalizes them
will also penalize you similarly (to those below you, and then below
them).  Linear algebra, let alone differential calculus or even ele-
mentary concepts of limits, is mutually exclusive with US journalism.
So forget even attempting to explain how tax cuts work.  ;->