[CentOS] A questiong about replacing my failing drive

Mon Jun 13 01:52:31 UTC 2005
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

On Sun, 2005-06-12 at 13:56, Bryan J. Smith wrote:

> In a nutshell, you pipe in a list of files, and cpio automatically
> copies them -- _raw_ -- to another location.  We typically use find from
> the current directory, and pass the "don't cross filesystems" option (-
> mount on almost all UNIX flavors, -xdev on newer ones).  "cpio -p"  does
> the rest, although the "-md" options preserve all mode/modification
> info, and "d" creates directories as necessary.  You can use "v" to
> verbosely list the paths processed, and "u" for an unconditional
> overwrite.
>
> As someone else mentioned, _no_ form of "cp" should be trusted to do the
> same.

I've never had a problem on systems that have GNU cp (i.e. Linux) using
'cp --one-file-system -a ...' to copy complete filesystems as exactly
as possible.  'rsync --one-file-system -aH ...' will work too.  I'm
not sure if anyone mentioned that that file-oriented copies: tar,
cpio, cp, rsync, etc. allow the target to be on a different filesystem
type than the source, while dump does not, and dd reproduces the
original filesystem.

--
  Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com