[CentOS] A questiong about replacing my failing drive

Mon Jun 13 03:50:14 UTC 2005
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

On Sun, 2005-06-12 at 21:01, Bryan J. Smith wrote:

> > I've never had a problem on systems that have GNU cp (i.e. Linux) using
> > 'cp --one-file-system -a ...' to copy complete filesystems as exactly
> > as possible.
>
> Some implementations of "cp" still take issue with special files.  E.g.,
> the default behavior of cp and most other UNIX utilities is to access
> devices nodes, not copy them as the raw device file.
>
> In GNU cp, "-a" = "-dpR" which doesn't handle anything other than links,
> files and directories proper, which can be an issue.
>
> > 'rsync --one-file-system -aH ...' will work too.
>
> Again, once you start getting into device nodes and other, special files
> than links, file and directories, you can have problems.

Both handle special files/device nodes fine.   There might be some cross
platform issues, but since we are talking about replacing a drive that
would not matter here.

--
  Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com