[CentOS] Php package for Microsoft-SQL -- integrated layer 2 + layer 3 name services

Mon Jun 13 17:27:30 UTC 2005
Bryan J. Smith <b.j.smith at ieee.org>

On Mon, 2005-06-13 at 12:13 -0400, Dan Anderson wrote:
> Has anyone looked at or had any experience with Maintain?
> http://osuosl.org/projects/maintain/

Not to introduce vaporware, but what I think enterprises are looking for
are a true, layer 2 and layer 3 name services product.  That's why a
number of them are deploying ActiveDirectory Services (ADS) integrated
DHCP/DNS, or possibly a 3rd party product like Lucent's or another
company (can't seem to remember them).

ISC BIND and DHCP were designed for the Internet with free-form
approaches that are horrific on a managed, private network.  Deploying
BIND and DHCP adds massive amounts of overhead and planning that is
unnecessary, and can be a continuing security nightmare.  Although these
projects attempt to mitigate the management issues, they are not solving
the core problem.

An integrated layer 2 + layer 3 name server should do many things.

1.  Introduce contemporary peer-replication

The concept that only the "primary" server can be modified is '80s in
concept.  Peer-replication -- especially across a hierarchial enterprise
is required today.  I'm sure some of the technologies gained from Red
Hat's GPL of Netscape Directory Server could be leveraged.

2.  Enforce good system nomenclature

This solves many details.  One of the biggest problems with DDNS is that
a simple node can overtake a server's name/IP.  There should be
protected IP masks and/or system names that are delegated to specific
systems in a well-integrated layer 2 + layer 3 name server.

3.  Enforce good subnetting design

Allow 2 and 3-tier corporate designs in subnetting the reserved, private
networks.  Not only is this good for IPv4, but also prepares us for IPv6
(which is integrated with layer 2 addressing).  It also solves another
_huge_ issue for enterprises -- the requirement that reverse zones be
classful.

4.  Tame legacy protocols

This is my personal favorite.  An integrated layer 2 + layer 3 server
should support some legacy protocols -- both to proxy them, as well as
identify them.  E.g., if someone is broadcasting NetBIOS or SAP, the
integrated server should not only integrate that name into its tree
(assuming some basic logic), but also give an easy way for
administrators to identify nodes on the network that are still using
them!

Bryan J. Smith                                     b.j.smith at ieee.org
It is mathematically impossible for someone who makes more than you
to be anything but richer than you.  Any tax rate that penalizes them
will also penalize you similarly (to those below you, and then below
them).  Linear algebra, let alone differential calculus or even ele-
mentary concepts of limits, is mutually exclusive with US journalism.
So forget even attempting to explain how tax cuts work.  ;->